Particularly for new cheerleaders, it’s important to read-up on cheer competitions and stay up-to-date with the latest news. Changes in judging, uniform styles, or new eligibility guidelines can greatly affect a squad.
While it would take us forever to list every single thing you should know about cheer competitions, we can get you started and share some of the most basic elements of competitions.
- First of all, you need to know what exactly is competitive cheer. In the most basic of terms, competitive cheer is when two or more cheer squads compete against one another. However, there is so much more involved than that. Find out how levels are defined, the length of routines, and more.
- Now that you know how your squad will be judged, it’s helpful to know who judges competitions and what exactly they’ll be looking for when watching your routine. Hint: it’s a lot!
- An important aspect of competitions and your routine is the audience watching you and how they react and respond to your performance. You’d be surprised how much an exciting crowd can make a difference in your energy and possibly even your score!
- Never underestimate the power of confidence! While working on your skills and routine is important, you should also work on building your confidence. It can help you as an individual and as a team member.
- BONUS! Learn a few fun facts about competitions, from reigning All Star squads to common point reductions during judging.
What do you think is most important for cheerleaders to know about competitions?
Stay informed on our latest news!